Monday, July 6, 2009

Alexa's "Gotcha" Day!

It was 9 years ago today that Samatha (sounds like..Saw-Ma-Ta) came home to our family. I don't talk about it much because
#1. it was such a special experience that it always makes me cry and
#2. it is hard to put into words something that I call a Miracle straight from my Heavenly Father.
I remember when Ken went over to see Samatha for the first time and we found out he could bring her home. My emotions were all over the place. I was excited and yet overwhelmed with what was to be. I knew that God wanted us to be a family but I was not prepared for the opposition that I would face waiting for her to be in my arms. But during all that, God kept reassuring me that it was right. One difficult day I stood looking out Breanna's bedroom window wondering why I was doing this to myself. No one else is adopting, I chose this, blah blah, poor me, When I felt a special spirit whisper to me. I saw the Jordan River Temple in front of me and then I saw our American Flag waving in our front yard and I heard, "this is why".
Tarzan, the Disney movie had just come out the year before and I remember having another really bad day and hearing the song "You'll be in my Heart" from the movie on the radio. I just started bawling! I could not control myself. I have included the song on hear so listen close to the words. Also in the movie, Kala, the mom gorilla, and Tarzan have this conversation that I have copied here because it is how I feel about my family.
I guess to some it seemed strange that we would adopt. But I believe that our plans are not always God's plans and that He knows each and every child on this earth, and He loves them and He will get them to their family, of course only if we are willing to accept the call.
D&C 50:41-42 "Fear not, little children, for you are mine, and I have overcome the world, and you are of them that my Father hath given me; And none of them that my Father hath given me shall be lost."
It has been difficult with so many little kids but I consider my self blessed beyond belief that God has entrusted me with these beautiful spirits! I prayed that Alexa would have a strong spirit to survive our family and sure enough she does! She is beautiful and I love watching her grow and I am excited to see what wonderful things she will do to make this a better world! Happy "Gotcha" Day Alexa Samatha Kennedy Milne!


This is her spoon and dish from the Orphanage that she would eat from.



Kala: Tarzan, what are you doing?
Tarzan: Why am I so different?
Kala: Because you're covered with mud, that's why.
Tarzan: No! Kerchak said I didn't belong in the--
Kala: Close your mouth.
Tarzan: Kerchak said I don't belong in the family.
Kala: Never mind what Kerchak said. Now hold still.
Tarzan: But look at me!
Kala: I am, Tarzan. And do you know what I see? I see two eyes, like mine, and a nose, somewhere. Ah, here. Two ears, and let's see, what else?
Tarzan: Two hands?
Kala: That's right. Close your eyes. Now forget what you see. What do you feel?
Tarzan: My heart.
Kala: Come here.
Tarzan: Your heart.
Kala: See, they're exactly the same. Kerchak just can't see that.
Tarzan: I'll make him see it. I'll be the best ape ever!
Kala: Oh, I bet you will!



4 comments:

Janet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie Madsen said...

awww cute. I didn't know her name was samantha. she is sure spoiled now that she lives here with you guys. she could never repay you back. you're wonderful... and i miss you!!

Lynette M. said...

actually her name is Samatha.
Sounds like..Saw-ma-ta.
That is why we changed her name because all her documents kept coming back with an "N" in her name. Funny huh!

Stephanie Madsen said...

ooh.. i didn't realize it didn't have an "N" haha...well, makes sense why so many people added it. So I have a question... how do you keep music in your life? I know you were really into it in college... but now that you have kids and stuff... how do you keep it in your life. I'm curious.