Thursday, October 9, 2008

Happy Birthday Dave!

Today my life is better because of my brother Dave. When I was little he would let me sleep in his bed if I was scared. One night when I was scared, I went to his room and he asked me to kneel and say a prayer with him to help me not be scared. He took me with him him to walk his dog Taffy. I remember one day walking to a big open field and we let Taffy run around and we laid in the field and looked up at the sky. Dave just went on and on about how great God is and how amazing the world is, and how beautiful the sky, the mountains, the clouds, ect. 
Today I look at the world through his eyes and I continually see only the beauty that God has created! I taste food and make sure I savor all its flavors! I listen to John Denver and smile! I look at my kids and try to savor every moment with them! Everyday I am thankful for having a brother who was such an amazing example and someone who I wanted to become like. It feels weird to not have his physical presence here for me to keep following, but I am thankful that I can feel his spirit with me and I hope he knows just how important he is to me. 
Because of him,  I have been changed for good!








8 comments:

Kelly said...

Great post, Lynette. It got me a little teary. Thank goodness you added some good retro pics at the end to make me laugh. Those plaid pants are so outrageous and hip!

Janet said...

I love the photos of you and David. What a nice tribute. Eternity must seem like forever away...He was always so kind to everyone. I remember he let me where his U of U letterman jacket when we all went up to the U to sing to .... oh, boy I'm having to remember names of people I haven't seen in a long, long time, ummm... Stacy's boyfriend....I can't remember his name and she invited him to a dance or it was his birthday or something like that. Do you remember that? When I was at your house he was always so cheerful and smiling and I loved how nice he was to your mom. A true gentleman.

Maryanne said...

What wonderful memories you have of your brother. I'm sure you miss him a lot.

I LOVE the pic of him pulling a child in a wagon behind his bike. I am assuming that is YOU because she looks just like Shania! So cute.

Camille {Sugar Baby Boutique} said...

yay! You finally got a real blog! My computer hated your other one and never let me see it. I've had so much fun looking at all of your posts. It's so fun to remember Dave and the amazing person he is! haha i love my dads outfit in that picture, it's killer. I can't wait to see you guys in november! Thanksgiving is going to be SO fun this year! Love you guys!

Julie V. said...

Okay, now that I'm done bawling... so sweet. Thanks for sharing that with us!
John Denver?! You crack me up. Those plaid polyester pants, were those for real? Actually, I had a pair pretty much just like those in '69 when I was like, 3 years old. LOVE IT!

Callisto said...

I just found your blog! Cool stuff.

Those pictures of your brother remind me of the old photos of my mom and dad when they were kids. It's so cool that you have those to remember him.

Cary Cottrell said...

oh my goodness. Why didn't my computer tell me you updated your blog? I'm glad I didn't read this post on Dad's birthday, cause I can handle it better today. Thanks for that. You're awesome. Oh... and check out my new post about Prop 8. It's really interesting...

CHERYL said...

Umm... I wonder what you will say about me on my birthday?! Ha ha ha! It better be as good as Dave's!!! Remember I give you permission to embellish!
I am afraid Dave might not appreciate the picture in the plaid jacket with the glasses though! :) He was always so "stylin'" but not that day! And remember I have a blog too and YOUR birthday is after mine so be careful!!! :)